Visualising music - 1

Remember I had once written how gravitational disturbances were mapped to auditory frequencies (here) ?

When I was writing about that, the thought that how i visualised music had bugged me a lot. I could never recall if there's any reason to like some instrument combinations and not the others. So, I tried to come up with a cogent visualisation system where I could say, for sure, if there was a characteristic to the kind of music that pleases me. Here's a brief account of what I believe is my theory of how I see music..

A. To me each voice starts out at a spatial location and has a particular color. The voice can be human  or an instance of an instrument e.g. two pianos. The problem with human voice is that it's hard to distinguish the notes that they are singing without proper musical training.  So let's consider just instruments.

B. We now have blobs at different spatial locations. Each blob can be sectioned along the circumference into the 12 standard notes. (My perception of the notes is a bit woozy so we can safely say i don't see clear sections of the circle).

C. The blob explodes at the section corresponding to the note when it is played. The rate of explosion is proportional to the pitch of the note i.e. a note at a higher octave spreads faster than the corresponding note at a lower one.

Based on these ideas,

1. I like music where there is a strong correlation in the actions at the locations of different blobs. This is why I like Jugalbandis in Classical Indian music. Although, I couldn't detect the occurence of uncorrelation on my own since i couldn't exactly locate the swara, I like the parts where one player challenges the other by mimicking him or playing the same tune either slowly or at a faster pace.

2. I like music that evolves and reaches a crescendo (sorta like one blob splashing color all over the map). A most vivid example for this is that beautiful piano piece which occurs in the beginning of the song Yeh haseen wadiyan from Roja.

Maybe, I haven't clearly looked into all the aspects of this or haven't taxed myself with a lot of examples so that there are exceptions that could invalidate this hypothesis... Anyway this is my perspective? What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment